Friday, June 3, 2011

Quebec's Folly

The morning news tells me that only Newfoundlanders pay more income tax than Quebecers. In Quebec, the average citizen pays 44% in income tax.

The morning news also tells me that the education system is broken, and instead of failing students that don't make the grade, we lower standards in order to allow them to pass (and I'm supposed to send my child to public school?).

Also on the morning news, the average wait time in Quebec's ERs is 12 or more hours.

The morning news also tells me that Régis Labaume in Quebec City wants a new arena, and that this new arena will magically make an NHL team move to QC-City. Gay Bettman says that building a new arena will NOT change a fig and that there is no promise or guarantee that an NHL team will ever return to the city. The Quebec assembly is bogged down in debate over a law that would allow Quebecor to...

Long story short : schools are crap, hospitals are crap, I pay too much in income tax without getting basic services in return, and the province is wasting time and money debating about bending over and paying out $200 MILLION DOLLARS so Quebec City can build an arena that Bettman tells us will remain empty.

I can't be the only one that thinks this is stupid.

Well, note to Quebec City: you obviously don't need my tourist dollars since the province shells out my money to you every time you want to put together a festival, event or unneeded civic building. Quebec City, you will not see my face nor my money in your city again.

No comments:

Post a Comment